UPDATED Oil in spark plug shafts?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

alecsey

UPDATED Oil in spark plug shafts?

Postby alecsey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:09 pm

UPDATE: Am I correct??? So I did some research, to fix oil being in spark plug shafts I will need to replace rocker covers pars 13264-EA200 and 13264-EA210. These parts already have spark plug shaft seals. I will also need rocker cover gaskets 13270-EA20A and 13270-EA21A

Am I missing something?

Hi,

If you know what this is and what I need to do to fix it please be kind to share your knowledge with me. Thanks!!

I unscrewed cylinder 5 (passenger side close to the back firewall) spark plug and discovered that its tread and partially cyramic is covered in oil. There was also a bit of oil on coil pack. I don't know if this is related, but PCV valve was also clogged with oil and there was a bit of oil in PVC hose going from PCV valve.

Meanwhile the part of spark plug that is inside the cylinder looked clean and dry.

My Path has 115000 on it.

I have 2 photos below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7m06 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7m06 ... sp=sharing

Thanks! I really appreciate your input!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:04 am

If you have oil inside the spark plug tube, the tube seal has failed. With Nissan plastic valve covers, you need to replace the entire valve cover. You will also need the valve cover gaskets. A bad PCV "may" have caused the problem, but you have no way of telling if the sealing integrity of the tube seals will hold up now that they have been compromised. Some have cleaned the oil off of the tube seals and smeared RTV silicone around the inside of the seal as opposed to replacing the entire cover; this is not the "technically correct" way to fix this, but it has worked for some. Replace the PCV valve and, if they are due, the spark plugs as well. There are seals on the upper intake plenum. They are silicone seals and can usually be reused, but Fel-pro does offer them new if you wish to replace them and they are usually cheaper than the genuine Nissan part.

alecsey

Postby alecsey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:40 pm

smj999smj wrote:If you have oil inside the spark plug tube, the tube seal has failed. With Nissan plastic valve covers, you need to replace the entire valve cover. You will also need the valve cover gaskets. A bad PCV "may" have caused the problem, but you have no way of telling if the sealing integrity of the tube seals will hold up now that they have been compromised. Some have cleaned the oil off of the tube seals and smeared RTV silicone around the inside of the seal as opposed to replacing the entire cover; this is not the "technically correct" way to fix this, but it has worked for some. Replace the PCV valve and, if they are due, the spark plugs as well. There are seals on the upper intake plenum. They are silicone seals and can usually be reused, but Fel-pro does offer them new if you wish to replace them and they are usually cheaper than the genuine Nissan part.
Thank you smj999smj, I've decided to replace both rocker covers with cover gaskets. They seem to be reasonably priced and the engine should benefit from the new covers. Thanks again!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”