Intermittent starting problem

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

cpainter

Intermittent starting problem

Postby cpainter » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:15 am

I've got a 2001 Pathy, automatic tranny, with about 140k miles on the clock. Randomly, the car will fail to start. Sometimes it will fail to turn over, and other times it will turn over but not fire up. I feel like this is either a sensor going out or a loose connection or bad switch somewhere. Like I said, it does this occasionally and the rest of the time it starts very quickly and runs perfectly. What do you guys think?

News flash: Just pulled the codes and they are as follows P0158, P0159, and P1135. Don't know if any of these are helpful, but thought I'd add it to the post.

AND

I never got a reply on an old post and don't know if it could be ralated to this problem, so here's the old post:

I've spent hours trying to figure out what the canister mounted on my air filter box is. It has two vac hoses going to it and the hose barbs have broken off the top of the canister. I just hose barbed the two hoses together for now, but would love to find out if the canister is important or not and what the heck it does. My searches have led me to believe that my Pathy is the only one ever produced with this canister anywhere in the world.

Thanks, Guys

GG671

Postby GG671 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:49 pm

Just had my '03 fixed. Had a lot of "hard start" problems for a couple of years, rough idle, running fuel rich, etc. My mechanic tuned it up, replaced the plugs, etc. But, he kept getting a "misfire" code, and couldn't find the cause of the misfire. Dealership ended up finding the cause. It ended up being leaking fuel pressure regulators. Fuel was leaking and getting into the cylinders, causing the rough idle and hard starting. Been running like a champ ever since I got the regulators replaced.

Have your mechanic check the plugs, see if they're fouled. Another symptom could be oil dipstick smelling like gas, or black smoke from the tailpipe. Those are symptoms of fuel pressure regulators.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:44 pm

GG671 wrote:Just had my '03 fixed. Had a lot of "hard start" problems for a couple of years, rough idle, running fuel rich, etc. My mechanic tuned it up, replaced the plugs, etc. But, he kept getting a "misfire" code, and couldn't find the cause of the misfire. Dealership ended up finding the cause. It ended up being leaking fuel pressure regulators. Fuel was leaking and getting into the cylinders, causing the rough idle and hard starting. Been running like a champ ever since I got the regulators replaced.

Have your mechanic check the plugs, see if they're fouled. Another symptom could be oil dipstick smelling like gas, or black smoke from the tailpipe. Those are symptoms of fuel pressure regulators.
I think you mean "fuel injectors." There is only one fuel regulator...there are six fuel injectors.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”