DIY Airbag crash sensor replacement?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

jspitz

DIY Airbag crash sensor replacement?

Postby jspitz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:20 pm

Has anyone done it? Apart from the horribly rusted nuts holding my horribly corroded sensor to the mildly rusted bracket, it looks pretty easy.

I'm getting the #6 code on the airbag diagnostics. I know this was a recall item, but mine was allegedly done already. I may be better off doing it myself anyway. Resetting the light is easy enough, but it fails for me now every time upon a restart.

After some back-and-forth with courtesyparts.com, I think I have the correct part # 98581-ZL10B. From diagrams (www.courtesyparts.com/oe-nissan/98581zl10b) it looks like this may include the front and rear brackets as well as the bolts and nuts. From a picture on ebay, it looks like it may be just the sensor with nuts?

Pricing is crazy - $156-177 from parts.nissanusa.com through one of my local dealers, $105 from Courtesy, or as low as $85 on ebay or 3rd parties via amazon.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:01 pm

It should be a simple bolt off and bolt on operation. Make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable and let the vehicle sit for 10 minutes before you start working on it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:22 am

Just had mine done on Recall a few months ago. Nissan did it all for free.

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:19 pm

I just verified with Nissan USA that my front crash zone sensor was replaced under recall in 2009. I guess the "improved" part didn't improve too much. Actually, the corroded sensor behind my grill now looks like the originals I'm seeing online, and fairly different than the part currently being sold. This feels like my regressive failures on the "improved" fuel floats all over again - each of the 3 was worse than the one it replaced.

Sf49168

Postby Sf49168 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:13 am

jspitz wrote:I just verified with Nissan USA that my front crash zone sensor was replaced under recall in 2009. I guess the "improved" part didn't improve too much. Actually, the corroded sensor behind my grill now looks like the originals I'm seeing online, and fairly different than the part currently being sold. This feels like my regressive failures on the "improved" fuel floats all over again - each of the 3 was worse than the one it replaced.

My air bag light is currently on ( 2008) and I saw online regarding crash sensor. Nissan USA said this was replaced in 2009 so I asked if it turns out the issue is that part will Nissan cover it. Try said to send all info such as invoice , service adviser to Nissan and would fwd to management to see if it can be reimbursed. Wouldn't hurt to try if you go dealer route.
I'm hoping my issue is seat belts so it's covered under Warrenty ( 99,999 miles / 10 years)

Return to “R51 Electrical”