Need Help Identifying Part

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

C

Need Help Identifying Part

Postby C » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:06 am

Hi Everyone. Need help identifying the part pictured. Looks like some kind of heat shield.

I searched, and all I could find were posts about the exhaust heat shields, which this doesn't look like at all to me.

I was hearing an intermittent rattle (at idle especially) and thought it was an exhaust heat shield coming loose.

I was idling in the driveway getting ready to back out, heard the clang of metal hitting pavement, and the rattle stopped. Got out and found this on the pavement.

Looks really clean, so I'm thinking it must be tucked up there pretty good when it's where it should be. Also, it was in the vicinity of the passenger side footwell area, so the FR and R markings (reversed in the pic because it's the outside of the part) might make sense (maybe they mean Front Right and Right?).

Can provide more pics if needed.

Thanks in advance!!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:00 am

It's an exhaust heat shield, like you think. It mounts to the under side of the body, over part of the exhaust and is made of galvanized steel, which is why it's not rusty and looks pretty clean. You'll need to get under the truck to determine where it fell off, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. It looks like the one that goes over the rear catalytic converter...and likely the one on the passenger side.

C

Postby C » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:21 am

Thanks so much, smj!

ETA: How does it attach under the body? Those look like bolt holes to me, but I don't see any signs of rust from the bolts, etc.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I took another look at the 'Exhaust Rattle' thread. See the lower left corner of the pic posted by webmastir middle of second page, looks very similar to my mystery part: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... c&start=15.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:49 am

The thread you linked shows the heat shield that attaches to the exhaust pipe. Yours attaches to the bottom of the floor pan, over the exhaust. It's held on with 6MMx1 bolts with a 10MM head. The bolts will have a built-in washer and it looks like the shield broke around the washers, which is the reason it has those big holes in it. You'll probably find the bolts still installed when you look under the truck.

C

Postby C » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:32 pm

Great, thanks again!!!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”