rattle noise from underbody

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mar1
Sponsored Member

rattle noise from underbody

Postby mar1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 am

got a sound coming from under the car that sounds like the exhaust heat shield rattle.its definitely not from the engine

i went under the car and checked everything i could with nothing loose.

could it be anything mechanical or should i keep looking for a damn heat shield i may have missed?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:34 am

Let me put it this way, anything that moves could create a noise. That should narrow it down to a few hundred parts. Can you narrow down/isolate more or less where on the vehicle the noise is being generated? I had a rattle from hell that would only appear when driven through really rough terrain. Ended up being a loose shock bolt. I still have a rattle on the front passenger's side that starts up when the road is bumpy & I have no clue what is causing it. It's so damned loud that I pretty much have to hang my head in shame while driving by other people offroad.

andredci

Postby andredci » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:22 am

I have a noise that i hear only after the car has been idle for a while with engine off. I was told that it was the ABS doing a self check and should only hear it once after you put in drive and start moving. Now that i know what it is i don't even pay any attention to it. Your right it dose sound like a heat shield or something hitting the exhaust.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:55 pm

mar1, just let the pipes cool and get underneath the car and bang on the exhaust piping with your hand in a few locations - it will cause the exhaust system to vibrate and you can pinpoint the locations of the rattle. Most likely it is one of the numerous heat shields rattling against the pipe due to loosened heat shield clamps. OEM heat shield clamps are very flimsy - they are thin, crush type plamps that can easily loosen up. If it is your culprit, snip it off a replace with the beefier one that has a screw and thread tightening design.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:15 am

Steve, 3 years of abusing it offroad have started to show :wink: pinpointing will be difficult.

thanks for the input boys, will check and let you know if anything positive

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 am

My Pathy is new and I get a rattle noise when I start it up (like a heat shield might be loose) but it disappears after a minute or so.

The thing that gets me though is the rough idle. I feel a vibration from the engine everytime I stop at an intersection.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 am

mar1 wrote:Steve, 3 years of abusing it offroad have started to show :wink: pinpointing will be difficult.
Then count yourself lucky. I started hearing various noises about 1 year after I bought it. I only have two left, one of which will involve removing part of the headliner. The other is the one I have no clue about-has to be suspension related, but I just can't figure out what is causing it. Take a friend out for a drive and see if they can isolate the noise. Or take a video and post it up here-maybe someone will know exactly what it is & save you some time.

jrjohn77

Postby jrjohn77 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm experiencing a faint rattling/ticking noise while accelerating, especially when the weather is cooler and/or when I'm accelerating hard. It doesn't get better nor worse when riding on rough roads or RR tracks. I driving an 06 with 80k miles. Any ideas?

07SECrownie

Postby 07SECrownie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:59 am

Look into this TSB - NTB05-015b. I have to do it on my PF here soon. It's a intake valve rattle.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/n ... tle-56189/

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 pm

i should have updated this thread.

turned out to be the rear silencer. some broken fiber inside it that rattled only when driving.

thanks for the link though. will check it out as well for later.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:44 am

andredci wrote:I have a noise that i hear only after the car has been idle for a while with engine off. I was told that it was the ABS doing a self check and should only hear it once after you put in drive and start moving. Now that i know what it is i don't even pay any attention to it. Your right it dose sound like a heat shield or something hitting the exhaust.
My 06 does this when I leave my driveway and start down the street. It makes a "clank" sound, but I was told it was the ABS doing it's self test.

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:33 am

dawgn86 wrote:
andredci wrote:I have a noise that i hear only after the car has been idle for a while with engine off. I was told that it was the ABS doing a self check and should only hear it once after you put in drive and start moving. Now that i know what it is i don't even pay any attention to it. Your right it dose sound like a heat shield or something hitting the exhaust.
My 06 does this when I leave my driveway and start down the street. It makes a "clank" sound, but I was told it was the ABS doing it's self test.
mine does that once i put it into gear. also y passenger door has a raddle on the inside that drives me crazy i just haven ttaken teh panel of yet to see what it is

Cr@2y Gr33k

Postby Cr@2y Gr33k » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:49 pm

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have been getting a really annoying rattle lately. Long story short... I ran into a pot hole late this past Saturday night. It felt like the rear bottomed out. Since then I have been getting this annoying rattle in the rear of the car, like plastic hitting on metal or something like that every time I go over a small bump in the road. Has anyone had anything like that happen to them and we you able to resolve the rattle or vibration .

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:29 am

I'd do a visual inspection, maybe your exhaust?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:28 am

Cr@2y Gr33k wrote:Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have been getting a really annoying rattle lately. Long story short... I ran into a pot hole late this past Saturday night. It felt like the rear bottomed out. Since then I have been getting this annoying rattle in the rear of the car, like plastic hitting on metal or something like that every time I go over a small bump in the road. Has anyone had anything like that happen to them and we you able to resolve the rattle or vibration .
I have a real similar rattle/noise with my 2012 not quite sure what it is but I really notice it with my window down and going over a bumb. When the weather improves I will get under it and check it out.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”