Looks like its my turn to deal with the trans issue...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Rach's Pathy

Looks like its my turn to deal with the trans issue...

Postby Rach's Pathy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:27 pm

2005 LE. Bought it back in June, did the cooler bypass right away, the fluid didn't look too bad. It had the shutter while going into overdrive, and the occasional "bucking" while in overdrive. Turning off overdrive for a min or so stops the problem. I have done 2 drain and fills with Nissan fluid.

It has 85,000 miles on it now. New issue is hard up shifts and down shifts. Does anyone have any input as to the cause? For the people out there that have had to deal with this bogus trans, what are you doing to fix it? Rebuild? Replacement? Is it in the valve body? Torque Converter?

Thanks in advance everyone. Tis the season for catastrophic transmission failure.

grifter

Postby grifter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:03 pm

My 05 SE is on its second replacement transmission and radiator, both replaced under warranty; currently 95K miles. Right after Nissan installed the second trans, I bypassed the new radiator, so we'll see how that goes. The first new rad and trans only lasted 12K miles before they failed last year, so I'm a little suspect about Nissan's replacement parts considering they failed in less than 1yr. I would source a good shop, perhaps a pressurized flush would help, if not let them work on it. I think Nissan will sell you a re-manufactured trans for $3K, but I could be wrong.

good luck.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:46 pm

There are a couple good threads on this forum and Clubfrontier.org that go over the recovery plan when the trans goes bad:

1. If you have warranty, let Nissan deal with it. Since you have an 05, I assume you're in the same boat as me, out of the extended mileage window and SOL. On to #2.

2. Find a wrecked trans and get it put in. Replace the rad. If you look, you could probably find a wrecked pathy or frontier (i'm thinking insurance writeoff auction or wrecker) to be a donor. Rads can be had from Rockauto for LT $200.

3. Rebuild trans, replace rad - Below I included a link to a thread from some time ago, the guy claimed to have rebuilt the trans for somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=1987

Let us know what you do. I've bypassed my rad, and it seems ok, but haven't discounted the possibility of a trans replacement someday as I plan to drive the wheels off of her, and I tow big (BIG).

Good luck.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:59 am

Go to the dealership, get them to have a look at it and tell them that you want it all replaced under the extended warranty.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:40 pm

If you take it to the dealership then I recommend undoing the bypass and putting it back to stock. (with the radiator trans cooler back in the loop) Then they can't blame the issue on the bypass.

Rach's Pathy

Postby Rach's Pathy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:05 pm

There isn't an extended warranty on this vehicle. So it looks like I will have to take care of this myself. I have been gathering as much info as possible. There is a check engine light, and last time i read it, it was calling out a solenoid in the trans as being stuck. I'm going to try and pull apart the trans and see what I can do about replacing that solenoid. At this point I'd like to just put a band aid on it and deal with getting it replaced come spring. Can anyone confirm that the transmission is model RE5R05A?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Rach's Pathy wrote:There isn't an extended warranty on this vehicle. So it looks like I will have to take care of this myself. I have been gathering as much info as possible.
but there may be an extended warranty on the radiator, and even though you are 5,000 miles past the extension limitations, with the right approach, you may be able to get consideration for part of, or maybe all of the repairs. :wink:
this is assuming that the problem is indeed the result of a failed radiator.
more info here: www.nissanassist.com

Jgwin214

Postby Jgwin214 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:17 pm

I have both an 05 Frontier and an 05 Pathy. At about 100k, i replaced the solenoid pack on the Frontier's tranny, $900 for used parts. A few thousand miles later, shuddering in overdrive. Glad i read up on these forums. Had my mechanic check out the radiator and guess what? It didnt look like radiator fluid. I'm replacing radiator and the tranny fluid. Should do the trick. Hopefully.

Jjlo176

Postby Jjlo176 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:47 am

Had the same issues on my 2005 SE Off Road, with 79,118 miles. Just had my transmission and radiator replaced 2 days ago and so far so good. Except now I lose heat at idle, and rear heat not getting cold. Im just glad it was covered under warranty.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”