After some water crossings...

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

After some water crossings...

Postby labsy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:54 pm

In past weeks we've had much rain so it was fun to drive through floods everywhere. Until I had to buy new cell phone:
See video...

Beside losing my phone :roll: I also had to deal with soaked interior. Nice shiny day and I went disassembling floor liners in front and middle section, as both drunk ton of water.
I squeezed a almost half a gallon of water out of this thick piece of floorliner, and let it dry for 2 weeks:

Not to mention I had to pull out front seats, handrest, whole middle console and a lot of plastic all around. Took me 5 hours to took apart and vacuum clean interior.

2 weeks later I cleaned interior again with rubbing alcohol and examined floor for any additional holes, which let water in. Found 3 open holes in middle section (red) and one under front right floor carpet, just where passenger's feet would be.
Trimmed some round plastic pieces and with some silicone kit transformed holes into no-holes-anymore.

I also decided to buy a proper gun for silicon kit tube, as pushing it with hammer obviously is a no-go :roll:

As I had a roll of soundproofing self-adhesive handy, I added some strips on metal areas to silence vehicle for one or two dBm. I am not sure if I've done it properly, nor if there's any good of doing so...but who cares, I feel good :D

Also I had handy some dielectric grease, so I protected all connectors to prevent possible further water damage (if I soak it again...which I probably will :roll:)

It's been 7 hours since today's start of assembly and my Patthy is now nice and shiny, clean as new and I am sure it is not so noisy either:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:30 am

you must not have any kids... lol

Nice. Wanna come do mine?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:28 pm

I am confused... Ok it does not take much but how did the holes get there? Was it rust/rot through or were the holes there from the factory? If so why?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:33 pm

And by the way where did you get all the Konica/Minolta copiers? I sell Canon and Kyocera business equipment.

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:15 pm

Kestral wrote:And by the way where did you get all the Konica/Minolta copiers? I sell Canon and Kyocera business equipment.
Lol... as I live in apartment/flat without my own garage, I setup a temporary workshop within our warehouse :D

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:05 pm

I think I found the same red one you have in the back. I pulled out the middle seat in the second row (its suprisingly heavy) to allow quick access for kids to run to third row seat; thats when I noticed a hole in the floor. Looks perfectly round about size of nickel, not from rust but not sure why left open.

labsy

Postby labsy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:43 pm

I think those holes are leftovers from assembly process. Maybe to help holding pieces together during welding, soaking in zync bath etc.
Some might also be intentionally put there for water to leak out, but I don't see a purpose on those on higher parts of body.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”