88 Pathfinder SE

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Bignfast

88 Pathfinder SE

Postby Bignfast » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:19 am

I just bought a 88 from my brother in law. I've been away from the 4 wheel market for about two years. Used to be a Jeep owner.......XJ (Cherokee) but they don't have the extended life like the Pathfinder does. Anyway.....She needs some work and I've made this my new project. Never owned one before so need some input from those of you who've been driving these for a while. First...in dieing need for shocks. What have you used and what do you like? The carpets on the inside are thrashed and was thinking of putting rubber flooring in. Anyone try this or know who makes these types of flooring? Other than that I need to replace belts, spark plugs and wires and find out why I'm going through so much gas....other than the fact it's got 250000 miles on it. :D

Thanks Guys

Scaramoche

hooking up your pathy

Postby Scaramoche » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:51 pm

first, I would pull the carpet currently in there(try to keep in 1 piece) go to home depot, or such, and by some outdoor/vehical carpet. It will run you around $50 or so, then use the old carpet as a pattern, but cut the new carpet a 3 inches or so larger than old carpet. install then trim excess, You would not believe how nice it looks, ive done to my 89 pathy.

I would do all you said, but also the bad gas milage can be cause, by 2 things.
1)tired motor, solution rebuild. If you have the means, and patience i would rebuild the one in there, or pull one from a scrapyard(300.00 in my city) then rebuild, you will be surprised at the power and economy you get back

2)part or all of your emisions system is bad, egr, o2 etc. this can be tricky, I would suggest picking up the chiltons manual and do ever test in the book lol.

velvetsanity

Postby velvetsanity » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:28 am

Change the timing belt.......change the timing belt! :wink:

CYRUS

Postby CYRUS » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:47 pm

how difficult is the timing belt change? can a novice do it by himself or should it be done by a shop?

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”