'98 Pathfinder Timing Belt

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

stormin

'98 Pathfinder Timing Belt

Postby stormin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:49 am

My '98 pathfinder has 105,000 Km (65,000 miles) and was recently taken to the dealer for its 96,000 Km (60,000 mile) service. The service advisor strongly advised having the timing belt changed. The owner's manual says to replace the timing belt at 160,000 Km (100,000 miles), without making a statement of time. The service advisor says it's actually 7 years, or 160,000 Km. How can a timing belt wear out if my Pathfinder has spent a lot of its life parked in my garage?
My '01 Maxima as only 55,000 Km (30,000 miles), but is 8 years old, so does this mean that it's timing belt needs to be replaced too.
By my way of thinking parts wear out with use, and not by the passage of time.
Comments??

Bakerboy

Postby Bakerboy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:49 pm

The Timing Belt being rubber can dry out over time. Similar to old tires the dry up and will start to crack, it doesn't necassarily mean yours has started cracking, only way of finding out is just pop a cover off and take a look. Another thing it can do is, again being rubber, stretch. It is under tension even when not moving so it may stretch. I've never seen a timing belt jump a tooth from stretching, just run a little rough. My suggestion, if you're inclined, is to take off the passenger side timing cover and look at the belt, if cracked replace immediately. If not, it's your choice, maybe wait until your other belts need to be changed, it will save you the labour time since they have to be taken off anyways to do the timing belt.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:48 pm

you can't just pop off the passenger side cover. the top is one cover and the lower another. If your cam seal isn't leaking or your waterpump, leave it. If either goes, do the whole job; t-belt, waterpump and tentioner, at least the passenger side cam seal and the accessory drive belts should be no extra labor for new ones (the old ones have to come off anyway), may wanna to the thermostat and bypass hose while you're in there. I've done a million of them, and only ever seen one break, and it was SOAKED in oil. Don't cheap out on doing the whole job, do it all or nothing. Neither the waterpump, or bypass hose or cam seal will last until the next t-belt, i guarantee that. Your maxima has a chain. chain noise on that style = engine out

windstev

Postby windstev » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:36 am

Mine has 160,000 mi on it and I am just getting to the TB. There is a dealer in Texas called Courtesy Nissan who sells parts over the internet and has a great site with schematics access. They sell a TB kit for under $300 bucks which includes almost everything you need including:
timingbelt
tensioner
water pump
WP gasket
Thermostat
all belts
most hoses(the little short one coming out of the Thermostat housing is not included for some reason)
I think thats it...but a great deal for quality parts and hassell free
Look under Maintenance...NOT Genuine Parts
http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder ... 7669.html
Have Fun

SmokinJoe

Postby SmokinJoe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:30 am

Thanks for the link to Courtesy Parts. I am getting ready to do a timing belt change on a 99 Pathfinder and was planning on ordering the parts kit from Courtesy. In your post you mention that most hoses are included but when I checked the link there were no hoses in the kit. If it is not too much trouble could you give me the part numbers for the hoses that you bought and think should be replaced. I have learned the hard way that it is best to have all the parts you need BEFORE you get started. Also does the thermostat come with the gasket or should I get that too. I appreciate all the help.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”