2009 Pathfinder SE -- gas pedal vibration?!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

PallMal
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:14 pm

2009 Pathfinder SE -- gas pedal vibration?!

Postby PallMal » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Two weeks ago, I purchased a new 2009 Pathfinder SE. I like the vehicle except for one annoying problem -- the gas pedal has an annoying "buzz" under my foot. It sort of feels like a small "foot massage" when I press on the gas pedal. This occurs no matter the RPM's are (over 1,000).

I took the car back to the dealer, and they could not find a problem. However, I don't think that gas pedals should cause this type of underfoot "buzz" when driving. I have driven a Pathfinder SE 1998, and there is no issue with the gas pedal. I know that the engine in the 2009 is more powerful, but does more powerful mean that I get what feels like bees buzzing around in my right shoe when I drive?

If anyone else has had this problem, what did you do to get it resolved?

I am thinking of taking the car to a second Nissan dealer to get their opinion, and depending on their answer, I will either get an exchange or have the original dealer get the problem fixed. My last resort is to get another model altogether, even though I really don't want to (I love the Pathfinders, but if this is a "known" issue and can't be solved, then I may have to bite the bullet and go with something else).


User avatar
fat_frog
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:18 pm
Location: 19320

Postby fat_frog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:26 pm

It sounds like the dealer admitted that there was "buzz" through gas pedal?

I have put 9,000+ miles on my '09 SE, but I have not noticed any "buzz" through gas pedal, yet. I don't know if this "buzz" is a known issue... I have not heard of it before.

I don't have any advice that might help you, but I hope a dealer that you take it to will be help you resolve the issue soon.

coom1986
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Postby coom1986 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:03 am

I have never heard of anyone else having a "buzz" of any sort..Ive got an 08SE..
Theres a small initial vibration or a thud on the pedal when the AC is put on but thats only like for a milisecond..Never felt anything like a buzz ever..

User avatar
Tez
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:25 am
Location: MA

Postby Tez » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:30 am

I have felt the vibration. It's always there a little but increases when the AC is on.

User avatar
Captain
Sponsored Member
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:41 pm
Location: S.w. Chicago

Postby Captain » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:00 am

I dont have the buzz. Do you have the adjustable pedals? It might be the adjuster. I dont think this a problem that would make me return the PF. Try taking a nother PF for a drive and see if its just yours.

User avatar
AZ_Path
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:03 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:47 am

Try testing another Pathfinder on the dealers lot and see if they feel the same. I haven't noticed anything with mine.

me&pathy
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: California

Postby me&pathy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:21 pm

i thought the r51 where drive by wire meaning no cables, sure your not feeling road vibrations?

PallMal
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Postby PallMal » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:49 pm

Well, I asked online in another forum (justanswer.nissan) to someone who is very familiar with Pathfinders and this particular issue.

He stated that yes, there have been others who have reported that the 2009 Pathfinder have a "buzz" in the pedal. He even had the Nissan engineers look into it, and they stated that this is a problem they can't fix (the Nissan engineers claim it's in the drive train), and that is the design of the car.

I am getting the pedal vibration mostly when I'm doing a steady 30 or 35 mph, i.e. driving in the city at normal speeds.

Today, what I did do is get down and did a hand experiment with the gas pedal assembly. One thing that I noticed is that the pedal assembly seem to move ever so slightly, as if it wasn't tightly bolted on or a washer is missing or something. Basically, I took my hand, and forced the gas pedal up from underneath, and then back down again. I felt that the pedal is not tightened (you hear the "knock" sound and you definitely feel that something isn't tightened). Mind you, the pedal assembly is not flying loose, just that this ever so slight looseness may be an issue, I don't know.

I tried the same experiment on a 2000 XTerra, and the pedal assembly is rock solid -- in other words, if I took my hand and tried to do the same thing in the XTerra, if I were strong enough, the only thing that would move is the car's floorboard.

I know that the gas pedal assembly is a "drive by wire", but am I onto something here? I'm not an expert on these things, but I know that if you have two solid items and one is supposed to be bolted to the other, if one is not bolted tightly onto the other, you will get a rattle going on if you stick a purring engine underneath it.

me&pathy
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: California

Postby me&pathy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:50 pm

PallMal wrote:Well, I asked online in another forum (justanswer.nissan) to someone who is very familiar with Pathfinders and this particular issue.

He stated that yes, there have been others who have reported that the 2009 Pathfinder have a "buzz" in the pedal. He even had the Nissan engineers look into it, and they stated that this is a problem they can't fix (the Nissan engineers claim it's in the drive train), and that is the design of the car.

I am getting the pedal vibration mostly when I'm doing a steady 30 or 35 mph, i.e. driving in the city at normal speeds.

Today, what I did do is get down and did a hand experiment with the gas pedal assembly. One thing that I noticed is that the pedal assembly seem to move ever so slightly, as if it wasn't tightly bolted on or a washer is missing or something. Basically, I took my hand, and forced the gas pedal up from underneath, and then back down again. I felt that the pedal is not tightened (you hear the "knock" sound and you definitely feel that something isn't tightened). Mind you, the pedal assembly is not flying loose, just that this ever so slight looseness may be an issue, I don't know.

I tried the same experiment on a 2000 XTerra, and the pedal assembly is rock solid -- in other words, if I took my hand and tried to do the same thing in the XTerra, if I were strong enough, the only thing that would move is the car's floorboard.

I know that the gas pedal assembly is a "drive by wire", but am I onto something here? I'm not an expert on these things, but I know that if you have two solid items and one is supposed to be bolted to the other, if one is not bolted tightly onto the other, you will get a rattle going on if you stick a purring engine underneath it.
do you have power adjustable pedals?

User avatar
mar1
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Dubai
Contact:

Postby mar1 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:30 am

i didnt have this problem until yesterday when the dealer changed my timing belt.

it just started now, so maybe a deformation in the belt is causing it ?

i have the SE08 basic, no auto pedals

User avatar
trance34
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:12 pm
Location: IL

Postby trance34 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:45 am

mar1nasr wrote:i didnt have this problem until yesterday when the dealer changed my timing belt.

it just started now, so maybe a deformation in the belt is causing it ?

i have the SE08 basic, no auto pedals
Timing chain, or drive belt? They are different!

User avatar
disallow
Site Admin
Posts: 2806
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:02 am
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:20 am

trance34 wrote:
mar1nasr wrote:i didnt have this problem until yesterday when the dealer changed my timing belt.

it just started now, so maybe a deformation in the belt is causing it ?

i have the SE08 basic, no auto pedals
Timing chain, or drive belt? They are different!
no timing belt in the VQ40.

User avatar
trance34
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:12 pm
Location: IL

Postby trance34 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:27 am

disallow wrote:
trance34 wrote:
mar1nasr wrote:i didnt have this problem until yesterday when the dealer changed my timing belt.

it just started now, so maybe a deformation in the belt is causing it ?

i have the SE08 basic, no auto pedals
Timing chain, or drive belt? They are different!
no timing belt in the VQ40.
Which is exactlly why I asked the OP to verify. ;)

User avatar
mar1
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Dubai
Contact:

Postby mar1 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:33 pm

trance34 wrote: Timing chain, or drive belt? They are different!
no idea. its what the dealer told me.. :oops:

flypig
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Postby flypig » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:10 am

I have a 2008 SE with adjustable paddle. I have a similar issue with OP. I would agree that it might be the gas paddle is not bolted solid.

But one thing is that when it's on the 5th gear around town with low rpm, say 1200, there is vibrating from drive chain. Just like use in higher than normal gear to accelate in Manual cars.


Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”