squeaking in reverse?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

G35TR
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:39 am
Location: NE Florida

squeaking in reverse?

Postby G35TR » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:30 am

Anyone ever had a loud annoying squeaking while moving in reverse only? The squeak sounds like tires when they drive on a clean nice smooth shop floor. The tempo of the squeak is close to that of 1 driveshaft rotation, not 1 tire rotation. Just started recently, so I haven't even had a chance to look around under there yet. I recently replaced both front shaft U-joints.

Other interesting notes about the noise:

No squeak when traveling forward
2WD vs 4WD seems to make no difference
Only occurs moving backwards while in Reverse gear. If I throw it in Neutral while rolling backwards, the squeak goes away.


User avatar
disallow
Site Admin
Posts: 2807
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:02 am
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Re: squeaking in reverse?

Postby disallow » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:07 am

G35TR wrote:Anyone ever had a loud annoying squeaking while moving in reverse only? The squeak sounds like tires when they drive on a clean nice smooth shop floor. The tempo of the squeak is close to that of 1 driveshaft rotation, not 1 tire rotation. Just started recently, so I haven't even had a chance to look around under there yet. I recently replaced both front shaft U-joints.

Other interesting notes about the noise:

No squeak when traveling forward
2WD vs 4WD seems to make no difference
Only occurs moving backwards while in Reverse gear. If I throw it in Neutral while rolling backwards, the squeak goes away.
Sounds like something that needs to be checked ASAP. If it is easily reproduceable, take er in so you at least know what it is.
t

User avatar
SPICOLI
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Canada

Postby SPICOLI » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:56 pm

I heard the same thing in my Path about two weeks ago. Only in reverse, while going fairly slow. Never forward though. I thought I was an isolated incident, but since I didn't have any actual problems, just a little squeek, I let it be. Maybe it's time to check it out. Anyone have any ideas?

G35TR
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:39 am
Location: NE Florida

Postby G35TR » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:23 pm

From what I've been able to find online, it seems this is a pretty normal occurance for Nissans, or at least on the SUV's/Trucks anyway (especially the Titans and Muranos). It has to do with the brakes. From what I can tell, there is no threat of damage, just annoyance issues.

Again, I still haven't been able to take a look at it. I need my wife to drive it while I crouch down and pinpoint the location. If it does seem to be coming from the brakes, I may tear them down and take a look. I gotta change the oil this weekend anyway. I'll let you know what (if anything) I find.

User avatar
SPICOLI
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Canada

Postby SPICOLI » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:08 pm

I think I may take the truck to my friends shop and throw it up on a hoist. I'll try running the truck in reverse and hopefully we'll be able to pinpoint the noise.
See what you've done, you sparked my curiosity. Maybe I'll think about some new suspension while I'm at it. :)

Citcope
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Postby Citcope » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:09 pm

try changing out both u-joints on the rear shaft. This happened to me and i replaced the front u-joint on the rear shaft then the rear u-joint went out soon after. So my recommendation would be to just replace both and the squeaking will go away!

User avatar
Tech
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Postby Tech » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 pm

check the rear shaft. Especially if you can't duplicate it on the hoist with the suspension sag. You may find it's INSIDE the rear shaft itself (some are different), if it's not the joints. If you price out the OEM shaft - you'll FREAK!

User avatar
SPICOLI
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Canada

Postby SPICOLI » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:12 pm

I can live with a little squeek if its only in reverse. After all, how much do we drive in reverse. Many years ago, I had a custom drive shaft made for my Jeep CJ and it was a third of the cost of an OEM one. :lol:

User avatar
eieio
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1830
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:42 am
Location: Prescott, Az.

Postby eieio » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:07 am

SPICOLI wrote:I can live with a little squeek if its only in reverse. After all, how much do we drive in reverse. Many years ago, I had a custom drive shaft made for my Jeep CJ and it was a third of the cost of an OEM one. :lol:
that "little squeak", in and of itself, may not bother you........
but it may be a symptom of something that could become much more than just bothersome! :shock:

User avatar
SPICOLI
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Canada

Postby SPICOLI » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:16 am

dryart wrote:
SPICOLI wrote:I can live with a little squeek if its only in reverse. After all, how much do we drive in reverse. Many years ago, I had a custom drive shaft made for my Jeep CJ and it was a third of the cost of an OEM one. :lol:
that "little squeak", in and of itself, may not bother you........
but it may be a symptom of something that could become much more than just bothersome! :shock:
I'm gonna put it up and have a look at it and see what I find.

scott hutch
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:34 am

Postby scott hutch » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Hey that noise is the u joint. I just had mine done the other day and it fixed it. Get it done soon. The noise is a bad bearing and can cause issues. 20$ part btw so not bad. Mine was the rear joint

User avatar
SPICOLI
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Canada

Postby SPICOLI » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm

I just did all the U Joints and I still have the squeek. I think I may have isolated it to wheel bearings. Will look into it more this weekend.

G35TR
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:39 am
Location: NE Florida

Postby G35TR » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:09 am

Well, just had the truck up on jack stands, and made no sound while running in reverse (in the air).

I'm waiting to hear more on this recall before I do anything else. Replacing the Fuel sending unit requires the rear shaft to be removed, so I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

macbell7
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:42 am
Location: Charlotte, NC

Postby macbell7 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:26 am

I get a little bit of a squeek, like a brake squeek sound when I go in reverse after its been sitting in the cold for a while. Doesnt seem to be anything too serious.

G35TR
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:39 am
Location: NE Florida

Postby G35TR » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:03 pm

SPICOLI, any luck diagnosing your squeak?I still haven't found out anything else on mine. Rear D-Shaft seems rock solid, so doubt there's anything wrong there (front already switched out).

Rear CV boots look intact, with no cracks/tears, or grease leaking out.
"Tech" mentioned the rear shaft itself. Really no way to test that other then the fact that like he said, I could not get the squeaking when the vehicle was off the ground.


Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”