Strange Rattle after jump starting another car

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

kev1n

Strange Rattle after jump starting another car

Postby kev1n » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:31 pm

So I jumped another car with the Pathy today and at the exact time that negative cable touched the old car's engine block the Pathy's idle dropped a little and immediately I noticed rattle sound almost like a bolts in the muffler. MY theory is that the engine's idle dropped enough such that it shook the engine a bit and possibly loosened a heat shield or something.

Is this something that sounds possible? What could I look at to confirm this ? The sound happens with the wheels turned all the way to full lock or if the car is in Drive and stationary. Any other ideas ?

ntech

Postby ntech » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:31 am

is it a rattle coming from the transmission area? (lay underneath and listen near the trans oil pan) If so, You may have put the trans into a perm. fail safe. I seen one not too long ago. Any lights on or driving problems?

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:21 am

ntech wrote:is it a rattle coming from the transmission area? (lay underneath and listen near the trans oil pan) If so, You may have put the trans into a perm. fail safe. I seen one not too long ago. Any lights on or driving problems?
sort of, if I stand on either passenger side of the truck I can hear the rattle pretty good. Drivability is fine, and the sound goes away after a while. I notice that when idliing the sound comes and goes as well. Maybe it is by pure coincidence that this happend during the jump ?

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm

This could be just a coincidence, but check the exhaust heat shields, where they are attached to the piping by steel tie-wraps (or whatever these things are called) - all of mine needed to be replaced within a few months of each other and all the rattles went away. There is not much other stuff that can rattle down there.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”