Howdy & Hesitation on part and full throttle

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

mucktuck

Howdy & Hesitation on part and full throttle

Postby mucktuck » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Hey there. Looks like a great forum you have going here.

Sorry to be jumping right in with a request for help but I'm
hoping someone can help me out with a tech issue.

I've got a '98 Pathfinder and have been having some engine trouble. I'll list the symptoms here and if anyone has any idea as to what's causing it i'd appreciate any input you can provide:

1. Hesitation at part or full throttle that almost seems like ignition just cutting out for a second, leading to the engine stuttering and almost cutting out completely at times.

2. The problem is almost non-existent when the engine is cold and gets worse as the engine warms up to the point that it becomes almost undrivable.

3. Not sure if this is related but the lower rad hose stays cold even when the rest of the engine and the rad are hot.

4. Also not sure if this is related but the battery doesn't seem to be charging properly.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:53 pm

MAF In closed loop, does it smoke bad and/or smell when it's rough?

180sx

Postby 180sx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:59 am

MAF, or alternator is going bad and when the engine is warm it's not getting enough spark when you step on the throttle, But I'd agree with MAF.

Jose

BigSam82

Postby BigSam82 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:51 am

I've replaced my MAF and I still have similar problems. When it's cold it runs fine but as soon as it warms up performance gets poor. My engine randomly shuts off...and after I restart it(It starts back up fine every time) I get to 2300 RPMs and can't get past it, it just jolts violently. I have to closely monitor my rpms and accelerate like an old man to make sure I don't hit that magic 2300 which makes my entire vehicle convulse.

When I start it in hot weather it smokes ridiculous for like a minute as well

edit: mines a 2001 SE

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”