There have been several threads on front mount receivers. The Curt MFG Model #31241 was identified as fitting the front of the 05 - 07 Nissan Frontiers and by all accounts it should fit the Pathfinder also as we share the same frame. It was also discovered that a Reese model multi-fit could be made to fit with the correct bracketry but one would need to purchase the correct mounting bolts to attach it to the frame properly as I found out and detailed in another thread.
Last week I took the plunge and ordered the Curt hitch and today I received it. Your Mileage May Vary but here are the details of my experience. The pictures are pretty much in order of how things go. The hitch isn't that heavy but it is awkward.
Hitch, bag of 4 bolts, 4 split lock washers, 4 larger fender washer, instruction sheet
19mm socket, 10mm socket, associated driver, extension, floor jack (or helper), bench grinder, die grinder (explanation of the last two comes later)
1. Using the 10mm socket remove the center section of the front lower air dam.
1a. Remove tow hook if present. (I forgot to include this step and since the LE doesn't have one I am unsure of what size socket to use)
2. Using the jack or a helper position the receiver and thread your bolts. The bolts towards the rear of the vehicle are easiest to access. The front ones take more finesse and I had to use a shallow 19mm on a long extension. I don't have large hands but it was tough to get in there.
This is where it gets funky. My hitch was manufactured *too* well if that's possible. When held up in place everything looks like it lines up but I could never get more than one bolt started. Upon further investigation there were two things working against me. #1, the mounting holes in the brackets were punched out prior to the brackets being bent to match the frame. This causes the edge of the hole to bend in on its-self causing the bolt to be a little cock-eyed. #2, the inside of the bend is so close to the mounting hole that the fender washer the kit comes with contact the bracket sides. Again, this causes the bolt to be cock-eyed instead of straight on. You can see how the fender washers are bending up in the up close picture. I solved these issues in two ways. First I used a die grinder to make the whole round again. This immediately allowed the bolts to thread properly. I also flattened a portion of the fender washers to gain the clearance required. I did this only one side though. I wanted to see if I could thread the bolts w/o doing this on the other side.
3. Tighten down the bolts, done.
There is no loss of ground clearance. I had 11.5" when I started from the ground to the lowest point of the front skid plate and this sits a good 1/2" - 1" higher than that. I'm happy with the way it turned out.
Airdam that was removed
Front w/airdam removed
Front with Curt installed
Upclose of the Curt
Upclose of the frame to receiver mount